Short in ignition

Sriso100

Cadet
Last year I replaced the 10 pin harness that connects my 1990 Yamaha 200 to my ignition. Now sometimes my ignition will have no power. Some of the wires are frayed. I can’t find the same ignition that I have currently ( plugs into the harness) does anyone have any idea what I can do the fix this. I’ll also mention the choke doesn’t work either usually you can hear it click when normally functioning. I’ll try to post pics. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• photo312148.jpg
    photo312148.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Sriso100

Cadet
Does anyone have any suggestions? What would cause it to sometimes work and sometimes nothing. All the other electrical systems work besides the ignition switch and the two trim switches ( at helm and on the motor). Upon further inspection of all the wires on the ignition switch they all look good. What I thought was frayed wires is actually little poke holes from the old owner who used a meter to check for power by poking the terminals into the wire. Not very bright. But all wires have continuity between the end of each wire and the harness plug.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Is the choke dead when the switch won't turn the motor over? And the trim switches stop working at the same time? I think you have bad/dirty power cables/connectors.

Clean the battery posts and connectors. Follow the red and black cables from the battery and clean every place they are connected. Examine the cables for signs of corrosion - Swollen and crud on the exposed copper strands.