Power trim-tilt relay test

oddysea1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 1989 200 Yamaha power trim is not working I can hear a clicking sound when the button is depressed at the relay.My question is should there be continuity between positive and negative leads.According to the manual there should be-I bought 2 used relays as a result and neither one indicates continuity with the ohms meter- either all 3 are bad or I am misguided about the test.Are there any other components I should investigate.With the relay disconnected is there a safe way to directly energize the power trim motor to see if that is working?Thank you Andy

Last edited:

rejesterd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi.

I think it's unclear as to whether the problem is your relay or the switch. To find out which one is the problem, here's what I would do:

Remove the trim relay. Touch the red probe from your multimeter to each connection point for the relay, and touch the black probe to any known ground (like one of your engine hoist hooks). One of the connection points for the relay should give you 12V on your multimeter. That's your positive battery lead. Then you connect that connection point to the 2 adjacent connection points (one at a time) using a jumper wire. That will simulate pressing the up and down buttons on the trim switch. If the motor trims up and down, then you know the relay is good, and you need to replace the switch.

A clicking sound like that typically means it's a bad switch. No sound at all indicates a bad relay.

oddysea1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have two trim switches one on the throttle and one on the motor itself do you feel it is feasible that both switches would go bad at the same time?Thank you for your help-Andy

rejesterd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I doubt both switches would go bad at the same time, but that's ultimately just an assumption. You can at least confirm the relay works, then move on the switches. You can basically do the same jump test for each switch. You might have to cut the wires, but it will be obvious which is which at the switches. The red wire is the battery lead, and the sky-blue and light-green wires are the up and down. So you jump the red wire to each of the others. Then you'll know.

oddysea1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you- is there a way of jumping the power to the trim motor directly bypassing the relay- if the motor works I can splash boat and then deal with the other issue.Thankyou Andy

rejesterd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You'd have to remove the panel where the relay sits and look at the wires going into those connection points. There should be red & black (battery power & ground), light blue and light green wires (which activate the coils in the relay when you press the up & down buttons on the switches), and a regular blue (darker than the other blue one) and a regular green wire that run to the trim motor. To operate the trim motor, you can jump red directly to either connection going to the trim motor. That will operate the trim up or down.

oddysea1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can you jump the blue or green from the trim motor itself{not through the relay} onto the positive side of a battery? Andy

scoflaw

Ensign
If you put 12v to the green wire you have to ground the blue wire to go down. +12 to blue and grounding the green will reverse the tt motor and make it go up. Same deal when it's hooked up to the relays, you must have both + and - on the green and blue to make it work

oddysea1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Still working on this I appreciate your help-If I take the green or blue main wires directly from the power trim motor and connect it to a Positive side of a independent or separate battery and leave all other connections in place-would that properly ground everything for a trim motor test?That's what I did and motor does not respond.Regards Andy