Bad stator or bad battery help needed

Hello all. Some help would be great right about now. having issues with a Dt65 1990.
problem is this. For about a year the outboard was running a bit rough on idle and bogged down when giving it some and it would then cut out. After all the usual checks, carb cleaning fuel pump check spark plugs ect. After a while of searching finally figured out what the issue was. Bad leads. Changed coils and HTs and she now idles really nice and will go like a rocket even sounds better. However, now when I'm just about to get onto plane the engine sort of sputters for just a split second while it dies suddenly looses power then kicks back in when up on plane as if nothing happened and continues to WOT. This happens quickly for a quick momwnt Then when going from WOT to a slower pace, as I'm slowing down I get the same sputter. again just for a second or two then it goes fine again.
I am thinking the stator might be no good either.
I don't want to go and just start throwing parts at it.
my question is this. Would a stator cause this type of issue even if my battery is still getting charge. it sounds like a quick miss at certain points of throttle. and everything I read is talking about the battery. I think mine is still getting charge.
What would a bad stator symptoms be. ?
anyone any ideas of where to look for this splitter jerk miss thing.
also I run the engine on a Halfords leisure battery. would this maybe cause a miss fire at high revs. I read something about leisure battery not used on outboard but it starts strong with this battery would it make any difference in high revs
thanks in advance

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I know absolutely nothing about your engine. However that fact that this does the same speeding up and coming back off the throttle, I would look at the advance timing mechanism to see if there is any issues there. Sounds like a spark timing issue to me. JMHO

Hi thanks for getting back to me.

So if it's to do with timing, would a new stator fix it ?

or is the stator just for charging the battery.

also I'm thinking I should also get rid of the leisure battery.

if not the stator what else should I look at. I have an OHM reader. volt meter ect.

any help would be great thanks

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hi thanks for getting back to me.

So if it's to do with timing, would a new stator fix it ?

or is the stator just for charging the battery.

also I'm thinking I should also get rid of the leisure battery.

if not the stator what else should I look at. I have an OHM reader. volt meter ect.

any help would be great thanks

NO the stator is there to charge the battery. Look to see when you move the throttle that the timing plate or linkage moves along as well. It could be worn in an area and causing the problem. But not being there and not familiar with your engine, this is only a very uneducated guess on my part. Pop up a few pictures of your engine setup for everyone to see. You will get more replies that way.