Yamaha f150xa water spitting out exhaust.

2fishy4u

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello everyone. I know I have seen a few posts on this. But never really seen a answer. I have a 2013 yamaha f150xa on a 2013 22' keywest WA. I noticed recently, around 30 seconds after start up water spits out the exhaust. pee hole has a very strong stream. It lasts 2 minutes or less then it goes away. It only does it when the engine has been sitting for 24 hours or more. And it never does it after the first start until its parked for a day. Half the research I have found says its normal. Others say there are internal issues. The engine is in perfect condition. Not even a scratch or a spot of rust on anything. No corrosion anywhere I can find. I recently changed out the Impeller and it was perfect inside. It starts and runs flawlessly. Engine is flushed every single use since purchase.
Am I ok? Or is this a sign of something deeper going on?

rejesterd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello.

Do you mean water is spitting out through the exhaust cover on the engine block, or out through the prop shaft?

Regardless, it seems like it stops once the engine warms up and the thermostat opens. So a leaky gasket in the exhaust system or a corroded internal anode is my guess.

Could be normal though.. I've never really looked too closely at it myself, but the end of the line for the exhaust sits underwater. So you figure some water will get up in there, but I wouldn't think it would spit out for a whole 2 minutes like that. Interesting question.

2fishy4u

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The exhaust port in the rear. Just below the engine cover. And above the water line.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I think that is the exhaust idle relief port.
when motor is sitting in the water the lower exhaust channels fill up some with water and that port gives some back pressure relief, It is common for a little spray to come out of it while idling.

but my C40 does not do it , and I have been running this motor for years. I worried about it at 1st since other brands had more water coming out in the past. but I got over it

ralphy670

Petty Officer 1st Class
I noticed the same thing on my f150 xb this year. Watch the first video on yamaha's website. You can see water coming out the relief port while the boats are on plane. Mine only does it at 1800 and higher while in a barrel of water. I think it is normal.

it's really noticeable at the 50 second mark in the video

https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/ho...0-hp/in-line-4

2fishy4u

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you Ralphy! Being a video of a new engine and on the manufacturers site puts an end to my worry.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
The exhaust port in the rear. Just below the engine cover. And above the water line.

That's your "exhaust relief" ports and are designed to provide an exit point for exhaust gasses and cooling water when the main through prop channel is blocked, like when the boat is at rest. Since water accompanies exhaust and somewhere in the engine is a cavity that has residual water after the engine is stopped, then you get both till the stored water is exhausted. I wouldn't worry about it given what all you said about your engine......Count sheep instead of worrying about nothing when trying to go to sleep. Wink!