power trim mystery 1989 200 hp yamaha

oddysea1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Last night both engines trimmed down ready for launch-This morning port engine was trimmed to full upright position and now trim motor is dead.I have no idea how this could have happened other than a short .Question are there any possible blown fuses I could inspect.Battery has juice and other motor works fine.Both trims worked perfect yesterday.A mystery to me.Any help appreciated. Andy

rejesterd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would try swapping out the relays between the engines. If the other engine's trim now doesn't work, you know that's your problem. I don't have a manual for your engine, but that's what I would be checking.

If it was a bad switch, I think your battery would be dead.

oddysea1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you for your input and I will attempt the swap concept-I am just puzzled and curious has anyone ever experience this anomaly.I have been boating for fifty years and I know my engines were trimmed down.Can one trim up, with some sought of short possibly in the tilt-trim relay? Also are there any web sites that sell that unit-I have been told by different dealers, it is no longer made or available? Buy{ New after market **or used is what I guess I need to do.I would like to if possible to bypass the relay and give power to trim to make sure trim motor works.Can this be done safely.I could then splash the boat and deal with above the water line issue later.

Last edited: