Suzuki High Pressure Fuel Regulator

Kruegs35

Seaman
I'm helping a friend replace his high pressure pump on his Suzuki DF90. He originally took the boat into the shop and they found that the pump was not working. I removed the pump and found that when I apply voltage, nothing happens, so I agree, the pump is bad. However, the quote from the shop also has a new fuel regulator listed, which is not cheap. I understand that sometimes when things are apart, you want to replace some parts out of convenience. Is that the case with the regulator or is there some other reason the shop wanted to replace it?

rejesterd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think on these, the pressure regulator sits inside the vapor separator housing. So if you don't know why the pump failed, then probably best to at least look at the pressure regulator. It should be pretty easy to test. You can use a fuel pressure test kit. The manual I found says the spec is 36.3 psi, but I think if you're idling and you apply vacuum pressure with the kit, you'll know if the regulator is ok. It will either reduce the pressure by opening or it won't and the pressure will just keep going up as you apply more.

Kruegs35

Seaman
We replaced the pump, regulator, filter, and seal for the high pressure fuel assembly. The motor was running great in the driveway. My buddy took the boat out and he said it ran great, but after stopping at island for a couple hours, the motor would not stay running. It kicks over, runs rough for a few seconds, then dies. We are trying to figure out our next move. He is going to check the fuel/water separator for water tonight, but other than that we are not really sure.