Yamaha carb winterizing

Tjy7510

Cadet
I have a 2000 4hp 4 stroke Yamaha and every spring it will not start. The carb float bowl is dry from turning off the fuel to run it dry. To get it running I have to remove the carb and squirt carb cleaner through the openings. Last fall was the first time I fogged it but in the cylinder only after I took the spark plug out. Any suggestions how to keep the carb lubricated so it doesn't clog up?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Running it dry is the best thing you can do to keep it clean.------Review your manual for the correct starting procedure.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have a 2000 4hp 4 stroke Yamaha and every spring it will not start. The carb float bowl is dry from turning off the fuel to run it dry. To get it running I have to remove the carb and squirt carb cleaner through the openings. Last fall was the first time I fogged it but in the cylinder only after I took the spark plug out. Any suggestions how to keep the carb lubricated so it doesn't clog up?

buy better fuel

Tjy7510

Cadet
Thanks Scott, The fuel has marine grade 360 stabil in it. Starting procedure as far as the manual wont help being the carb is clogged. My question is does the fogging spray put in the carb to run dry prevent it clogging up?

robert graham

Admiral
There should be a small drain plug/screw on the bottom/side of carb...not a bad idea to drain that carb float chamber a few times a year to get rid of water or debris that can plug those very small jets...." Running it dry" doesn't remove everything from carb float chamber.....

thatone123

Banned
The Winterizing business is cool and makes a lot of business $ for some folks. Never do it myself for a few decades. Run the fuel out. I usually don't even do that but where I live there is no ethanol in the gas either and cool and dry.