F115 2013 model beeping and won't idle up.

kneedragger

Seaman
I have a new to me 2013 F115 Yamaha four stroke I have just mounted rigged and water tested. I have not connected any gauges. It starts and idles perfectly, after about 1-2 minutes of run time the key alarm comes on and won't go off. and it won't idle up and begins to cut out. Probably going into "limp mode"? I initially thought it was a fuel delivery problem and bypassed my backflow ball valve on the fuel line. No change after putting the fuel line directly into the tank. I have the removed the fuel filter on the motor and it is clean as a whistle. Alarms continue. I can get the motor to rev high fine if I disconnect the shift linkage and engage the throttle at the helm. Which is frustrating. I have put fresh oil in and was slightly over full from the 3.9 quarts mentioned I added 4. (why doesn't Yamaha put full and low marks on the stick??--for another thread). Water pump seems to be working fine and "P" tube has good steady flow. I have read some threads about battery, but this one has 12.5 volts and starts and idles fine (with a small automatic up idle at start up). Any additional suggestions to check would be greatly appreciated. Also, I have not checked the VST system? Where do I look or suggestions. I also need to check the high pressure fuel filter but need to look where it is. I know it is downstream of the fuel pump (the round thing with the two fuel lines going to it with three screws) My routing runs up near the flywheel from there so I need to take the fly wheel cover off to see it. I plan to connect the gauges tomorrow and see what pops up.

Last edited:

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Is the horn really beeping or is it just sounding?

The first rule of an alarm is when hearing it immediately stop the motor.

Low oil pressure or high engine temperature are the two events that activate the RPM reduction mode. If you had a Yamaha tachometer it would tell you which it was.

Revving a motor in neutral serves no useful purpose whatsoever.

The high pressure filter is connected to the HP pump. The HP pump is located within the VST.

There are high and low marks on the dip stick. At least there were when the motor left Japan. The guidance from Yamaha is to simply get the oil level between the low and the high marks.
ap6yo0.jpg

kneedragger

Seaman
Is the horn really beeping or is it just sounding?

The first rule of an alarm is when hearing it immediately stop the motor.

Low oil pressure or high engine temperature are the two events that activate the RPM reduction mode. If you had a Yamaha tachometer it would tell you which it was.

Revving a motor in neutral serves no useful purpose whatsoever.

The high pressure filter is connected to the HP pump. The HP pump is located within the VST.

There are high and low marks on the dip stick. At least there were when the motor left Japan. The guidance from Yamaha is to simply get the oil level between the low and the high marks.
ap6yo0.jpg

Bosco,

thanks for the response. To answer your question, the alarm comes on and stays on, even in neutral after the motor is running for a couple of minutes. I never ran the motor for any length of time to damage any of the components. Fresh oil change and added 4.1 quarts (manual calls for 3.9) and was dead in the middle of the 2 inches of hash marks on the dip stick. Water pump seems to be working but there was no way of knowing if the thermostat was open. Good clean stream of water coming from the discharge "p" hole. I still need to connect the tach and check the codes, and that is the next step. I have a contact now that has a diagnostic code reader and we plan to hook that up.

Since the original post, this alarms seems to be any number of issues, water temp, oil pressure, or water in the fuel as all possibilities.