pumping water in reverse and neutral but not in forwards- 2014 25 hp Yamaha

jimhinson

Recruit
I smashed a rock resulting in chewing up my forward gear and pinion gear during the winter chasing ducks around, after I hit the rock the outboard stopped pumping water out of telltale, it would only come out as a weak stream in neutral and reverse, I have since tore the lower unit apart and replaced all parts that were damaged and while I was in there I replaced the impeller, still no water coming from telltale, but it is pumping out of the exhaust hub, has anyone had this issue and if so what did you guys come up with

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Was the old impeller intact? Some small bits could be in the tube, or thermostat area.

jimhinson

Recruit
when I pulled it apart the key fell on the ground so I'm figuring no. but the new one is where it needs to be and still having the same problem

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Try cleaning out the tell tale hose and fitting on the block.--------Other than that it makes no sense.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Agree with racerone above. Especially if you been in the salt. You need to maybe clear the solidified crud out the tell tale hose. Even as far back as the block.

jimhinson

Recruit
yea thats what I'm going to try, raining like a bastard today so I will try tomorrow, thanks fellas

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
it worked guys, blowing it out did the trick

Squirting an overdose of WD-40 or Carb Cleaner with the red cannula up pee hole and letting soak for some minutes will also do the trick specially if that OB was run in salt water...

Happy Boating