Gauge and wiring help. Yamaha 70hp

Slabguy

Cadet
I have a 2005 Yamaha 70hp with Yamaha 703 remote control. The only gauge I have in the dash is a fuel gauge. Looking to add at least a tach if not more. Any help is much appreciated on what wires serve what gauge and any leads on the correct gauges that will work for this application. See attached pics for the wires I have available. Thanks

Attachments

• photo308437.jpg
    photo308437.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 0
  • photo308438.jpg
    photo308438.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 0

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
First photo is for the wires that connect to an optional trim and tilt switch. Forget them.

The second photo shows the wires to be connected to a tachometer. Yellow for key on power. Black for ground. Green for the tachometer signal. Yamaha makes a harness that connects to those wires at one end and to a Yamaha tachometer at the other end of the harness.

Yamaha makes several tachometer types. What type do you want?

https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/home/rigging/all/gauges

Slabguy

Cadet
Thanks boscoe. I prefer a digital tach but if I get that 6y5 in the link you sent will any of the other features be functional with the wires I have available or just the tach?

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
6Y5 tachometers can be had in digital display and analog display types.

Only the tachometer function will be operable. To get the remained of the functions (trim, over temperature, oil status) you will need a separate trim/oil harness that runs from the motor to the tachometer.