15hp 2 stroke yamaha outboard

pritch

Cadet
On a 15hp 2 stroke Yamaha outboard what are the 2 small rubber pipes for, that are attached to the cylinders. One goes to the reed valve block, and the other ???????

robert graham

Admiral
Without a photo, my first guess would be those small black rubber oil circulation lines that move oil from various areas to others improving lubrication....

pritch

Cadet
Hello Robert, may be you can offer some advice to me about my 15hp 2 stroke Yamaha outboard. My problem is that when I start the outboard it will idle OK, but when I advance the throttle the engine will run rough and cut out. I have replaced the Carburettor, CDI unit, high tension coils and leads ( all off another motor that is functioning quite well) and the same problem occurs. I would appreciate any advice on how to eliminate the problem. It becoming quite frustrating. I would appreciate any help that you can offer.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Almost certainly a carb related issue. Give her a clean out. Jets too.

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
Regarding the rubber "pipes" (hoses) you spoke of in Post #1, I believe you attached the top hose correctly if, when installed, the hose should be practically level (horizontal).

The lower hose fits onto a nipple located at the very bottom of the crankcase assembly (below the reed block) and behind the shift arm shaft.

Connecting this hose may eliminate your running rough above idle issue.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
QBhoy-----Are you not aware that most 2 strokes have an oil recirculation system ?------Some motors use wee hoses and some use internal passageways !!

I’m aware that oil injection models do. Maybe wrong but I’ve never seen a 15hp oil injection on a Yamaha ??

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sorry you are wrong..----Time for you to look this up.-----The regular premix models have hoses to RECIRCULATE oil.-----Many 2 stroke motors also have internal passages to do the same thing !!

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Apologies but how would it separate the oil from the fuel to circulate ? Or do you mean it recirculates the fuel ?
I’m confused. I’ll look it up. All the best.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I have 2 of the 8hp Yamaha models In the garage. Pretty sure there is no such thing as oil recirculating pipes. It’s a total loss lubrication system on the non injection engines I know of, this size and type at least.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Racerone. I’m not meaning to be cheeky. Just genuinely interested. Perhaps you are saying the lubrications channels are running externally ? I’m not sure they do on these. I think it’s all internal channels from the fuels point of entry then downward in the conventional oil channels internally.
I know what you mean though, I think.

robert graham

Admiral
On a normal 2 stroke outboard the oil that enters the engine mixed with fuel can seperate and puddle in some areas, so the manufacturers put these small tubes to remove the oil and transfer it to certain areas of motor that can use the lubrication...