2004 Yamaha F115 Struggles to Lower

oct6454

Recruit
Hello everyone,

I've been struggling to diagnose a tilt/trim issue with my 2004 Yamaha F115.

The motor raises fine. I've verified fluid level and it is perfect.

When lowering, the motor lowers at a normal rate and makes a "normal" sound until it gets to the bottom 25% range of motion when it comes into contact with the two large hydraulic rams. As soon as the motor makes contact with those hydraulic rams the trim motor begins to struggle and it takes quite a long time to lower the rest of the way.

Now I realize that its normal for the motor to lower more slowly as it gets near the bottomed out position, but its getting slower and slower and I can hear the trim motor "struggling". I'm worried at some point it just won't lower anymore.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this? I'm beginning to think something might be wrong with one of the rams.

Thanks,
Oliver

oct6454

Recruit
When I used the manual release the motor dropped at a normal rate, if not faster than it drops using the powered trim.

The electric trim motor is under audible strain while lowering the engine. Could it be that the trim motor is going out? I'm not sure how those motors work tbh.

Oliver

wrench 3

Commander
Probably not. It should have to work harder to tilt it up than down. The rams aren't binding since it lowers OK on manual and if they had an internal seal going the motor would be running free.
Most likely there's a valve sticking but I'm afraid I don't now that unit well enough to tell you which one or were to find it.
BTW the only way to positively rule out the motor is to do a pressure test on it but it doesn't sound like it's at fault.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I’d be tempted to bleed out the whole system of oil and you might find some water in there.