2018 DF90 starting issues

dcdunbar

Cadet
I recently have had some fuel issues and wondering if I need to replace the VST tank. Over the summer a friend used the boat and didn't check the separator and sure enough water went thru the separator and into the VST. What is odd is that the engine ran fine for him but when I tried to start it a couple of weeks later it wouldn't start. I checked the VST and sure enough there was water in the bottom and the fuel pump had quit. So, of course this is not covered by the warranty so I pulled the injectors, plugs and the VST the next day. I replaced the fuel pump, checked the injectors and changed the plugs and it started right up.

After the initial start up I ran the boat in idle for about 30 minutes to make sure that there was no more water in the system. The engine did idle a little rough but got better as time went proceeded. Yesterday I got stuck.... My wife and I ran the boat to a friends house about 15 minutes away and then stayed for about 30 minutes. The engine wouldnt start when we tried to leave. Damn! Had to get a tow back and of course it started right before we got back to the dock.

So now I ask the forum- what do I need to replace? I tested the injectors and they seem fine, the plugs were also replaced. In the VST I only replaced the fuel pump and not the float, fuel pressure regulator etc. The repair shop wants $1000 to replace the VST since its not under warrenty due to fuel issues. I can replace the VST for around $500 but want to make sure this is the issue first. Please chime in and let me know your thoughts as I need to get this up and running and keep the admiral somewhat placated with a running boat....

thanks
Dave

wrench 3

Commander
I noticed that you didn't mention checking the fuel tank for water or cleaning it out.