Yamaha trim and tilt 2003 90hp just clicks going up

jgebb

Recruit
I found and old post and followed this procedure. I want to make sure I am correct in saying the relay is bad after following the procedure. The motor worked for every part of it except when I jumped from the positive to the blue. Nothing happened then. Other than that the motor went up or down like it is supposed to.

most lilkly behind the panal with the screws.
the relay in the snap on panal is just a power supply for the trim relay and its called the main relay. the trim relay will have a 10 Ga blue,a 10Ga green,a10Ga black and a 10Ga red all held on with 10mm nuts. the other 3 wires are black,light blue and light green on a pigtail about 5" long and a triangle shaped connector. most people get confused and many techs get lost but its a very simple device for reversing polarity to the trim motor. its also about 450 dollars.
when at rest both 10Ga motor wire,blue is up anf green is down, are grounded inside the relay. when a direction(up) is toggled it moves one relay wiper arm from the negative side to the positive side (blue to red). now we have a circuit. when you let off the button both wipers are spring loaded and the one that moved returns to ground. when you hit the trim the opposite way (down) the down relay arm moves to positive and the up stays grounded (green to red) a quick test of the motor circuit is to remove both the 10 ga blue and green wires. attach the blue to a known good 12 positive and the green to a negative or block ground. motor should move up. reverse and it should move down. if it does the motor is ok. now touch the blue wire to the red terminal on the trim relay and the green to the black, should go up again if it did in the first test. reverse for down. if it pased the first and not the second find the loss of power on the red wire or a ground loss on the black. also test for operation of the trim switches. jump from the red wire to the blue 18 ga wire at the plastic connector on the relay pigtail. it should click and go up. if it clicks it means the arm is moving anyway. repeat for the green 18ga wire. if it does not pass the first test the motor is bad.if it passes the first and second test we confirmed the motor is good and the positive and negative to the relay are good and if all 3 tests pass yet the motor only runs for the first 2 tests the relay is bad.
no worries :)

wrench 3

Commander
I had to go to the schematics to follow that test procedure. I usually use a test light. It's a lot simpler.
But yes, if you did as described the relay is bad.