Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke fuel issue

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer
I am working on a 2010 YAMAHA 9.9 4 stroke. COMPRESSION IS 180 and 170 so that looks ok when I try to prime the fuel system I can only get one squeeze before the ball gets hard. OUTBOARD won't start. I disconnected fuel line connector and a ton of pressure released at the connector . I then disconnected the fuel line at the filter INLET and squeezed the primer ball ( fuel flowed fine out of hose that goes into filter so I know my connection is ok at the front of the motor. I disconnected the fuel line at the pump (the outlet hose that goes to the CARB. I then hooked the hose to the outlet of the fuel filter in effect going from primer ball straight into carb bypassing pump. Had same result one squeeze and that's it. When I took the hose back off the filter a lot of pressure was released. I am thinking maybe the fuel INLET in the CARB is stuck not allowing fuel into the CARB and the pressure in the lines is from when I squeezed the primer ball? Does this sound like I am on the right track. The OUTBOARD is new to me so I am just going over it to see what kind of shape it is in. Thanks

wrench 3

Commander
If the carb is full the bulb will go hard.
Have you checked for spark?

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer
The carb is not filling at all and I found out why. I took the CARB apart about 1/2 hour ago and it was full of engine oil. There is also oil down in the belly pan etc. Seems like it was stored lying the wrong way and oil got where it shouldnt.. I thoroughly cleaned the CARB put it back together primer bulb squeezed couple of times and it fired right up and running great. Think we solved this one