1986 yamaha gearbox issue

I have a 40 HP, 1986 Yamaha ELJ (2 cycle, 3 cylinder) motor. In fall, found water in gear case oil. After searching for replacements which are available, I decided to try to replace the drive shaft and prop shaft seals. Following the recommendations of Dangar Marine and the precautions of the "hack method," I was able to remove and replace the seals. I did a pressure test using home materials after putting the unit back together and inflated to 15 PSA. Pressure was maintained above 10PSI for 3 minutes, and was 6PSI at 8 min. I wonder what the standards for satisfactory pressure test are? thanks. Peter, east end NY

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you should be able to hold pressure for days.

robert graham

Admiral
I believe there are accepted specifications for pressure testing lower units and the length of time for a leak down....maybe research this more....

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
The Yamaha pressure test specification is for the lower unit to hold rated pressure for ten (10) seconds. Your unit appears to be just fine.

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
Mercruiser (I know) procedure is:

Pressurize for 7-10 psi, observe gauge for 5 min.

Rotate d/s, p/s, mo e shift rod while pressurized to check for leaks.

Pressurize to 15-16 psi, observe for 10-15 min.

Rotate d/s...etc.

If pressure drop is noted, immerse in water (or use soap/water), re-pressurize housing and check for air bubbles.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I normally test 12 hrs or more.-----Do not like to see a pressure drop.-------Testing for 10 seconds, not me.