Tach Issue

I have had an intermittent problem with the tach on my Suzuki 115. The needle will suddenly start creeping up to as much as 2000 rpm higher than the actual reading. It then will bounce around a little before coming back down to the correct rpm. I found the other day that when I tap on the gauge it will make it bounce around even more. in fact when it shows a correct reading if I tap on the gauge it will immediately creep up and bounce around. So my question is does this me my RPM gauge is defective. Thanks

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Without any other info, it sure sounds like you have a tach problem. Has it just started doing this or has it been "defective" all along?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
sounds like a bad connection to me.
might try checking all of them you can and then flipping switches back and forth to the settings to see if that helps

I realize now I should have been more clear. obviously I know I have a tach problem my question is does it sound like it's the actual gauge that's the problem. I have checked the connections and they all seem to be good. also all the charging components on the engine seeme to be operating properly as well

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the gauge is most likely the problem. check the connections at the gauge, and also try flipping the switches back and forth to knock the crud off the contacts, then put the switches back in the current config as indicated in post #3