2001 Yamaha 115 won’t start, when it does runs perfectly

lance129

Cadet
I’ve got a 2001 115 Yamaha 2 stroke on my 19’ pro sports CC, it has ran absolutely perfect in the year that I’ve owned it. Recently I had to replace my leaky sending unit and in the process of doing that (long story) I ended up getting some water in my fuel and it didn’t want to run worth a crap (but it would start up) so I drained carbs and fuel lines/filter and hooked up an external tank and at this point it didn’t want to start at all. Next I had a buddy spray some carb cleaner into the air intake while I was cranking and she fired right up no problem and ran perfectly like normal. Let it run for about 15 mins turning it off and restarting occasionally and it started on the first bump of the key every time. Next morning I put in the water at the ramp and same thing- wouldn’t start at all and eventually killed the batteries. Pulled it back out and towed home, charged the batteries up, next morning go out to start on the hose- same deal, will not start. Spray a touch of carb cleaner in it, fires up no problem and runs great. And will restart no problem whatsoever after the first initial start. Anyone have any advice, ideas? Just changed the plugs 2 days ago as well. Thanks!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
are you using the enrichment (choke) when you start it cold?

you should never use ether on a 2-stroke

lance129

Cadet
Yes I use the choke when needed. Ive never had an issue with it not starting before, it has been very reliable until now

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
so check the enrichment circuit