Lucas Power Steering Stop leak - stopped a bad leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lucas Power Steering Stop leak - stopped a bad leak in my 2005 F225 hydraulic tilt

UPDATE:December 23
Added Lucas POWER STEARING stop leak to port tilt.

I used the Very thick and red Lucas PS SL
Next day still leaking

Dec 28 Friday
Tilt did not leak today.
Went into water with mask and looked for leak working the motor
No leaks spotted and no red transmission fluid floating on water today

Added some more to top off. Added into 15mm fill hole
Have to squeeze bottle hard because Lucas
Is thick.
Titled up and down and no red fluid in water today.

Dec 29 Saturday

Checked the power tilt on the port engine that had an unstoppable fluid leak.
No leaking after the addition of Lucas Stop leak for hydraulics.
I’m Amazed.
This Lucas product can save a 1,000,000 boater with a power tilt leak issue . Read the reviews at Amazon. Get amazed!

Note Lucas Sells many stop leaks. I used the Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak in the picture.

https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-10008-P.../dp/B000ARPVNO

Attachments

• photo306204.jpg
    photo306204.jpg
    610.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
It will leak again, and leak worse. The stop leak at best is a short term fix

Scott: you ever try Lucas PS SL?
You were right. It started leaking again after working the tilt motor, but just a slight leak. I have 3/4 of a bottle of LUCAS PS ST left, and will try and locate the leak with my mask tomorrow.
It's not leaking from any of the (3) ram seals. This Lucas can slow this leak down to next to nothing. it's very thick. One Amazon reviewer said it stopped his PS leak for 6 months.
UPDATE: Went back into the water with a mask to locate the leak. Filled up with Lucas with 15MM socket and ratchet. Worked the tilt from in the water using the up/down switch on side of cowling. Kept looking underwater with my mask. There were no leaks, and the engine tilted up and down. No fluid floating around on the surface either.
Somehow, at some point, it seems to leak a little, but Lucas PS ST has slowed the leak down significantly.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
All the leak stop crap does is chemically swell seals. Most of the time the seals fail quickly after that.

You need to pull the system apart and re-seal. There is no majic mechanic in a can, only snake oil comes in a can

Came across natemoore’s Post here. I have a hydraulic leak every time I tilt up one of my f225 (2005). I added some Lucas power steering stop leak today and when I tilted the engine up, no leak.

not sure how long this will work. Try and get back tomorrow after I run the engine up and down some more. He he!

Lucas is thick red stuff and is probably only increasing the viscosity. Same as tranny fluid or hrdraulic fluid from Yamaha?

Went to the boat today. Hit the tilt switch up and down, and the Lucas Power Steering Stop leak I added on Dec 23rd is working. Not a drop of red fluid in the water.

Previous to using the Lucas PS ST, the power tilt would always leak when I tilted the engine.

I believe my tilt is leaking from the fittings (2) underneath the center ram that pushes the motor all the way up. These fittings are under water 24/7, and you need a dive mask to see them.

Next time I see even one drop of red fluid on the water after applying the PT, I'll go in the water (about 80 degrees today), and see if I can see exactly where fluid is "squirting/dribbling" from.

Hey. Lucas is a pretty famous guy. Got a NASCAR race or two named after the company.

Attachments

• photo306204.jpg
    photo306204.jpg
    610.5 KB · Views: 0
Please take note

reread the rules you agreed to when you joined

Solicitation not permitted, as such 2 topics have been deleted

Not a Solicitation. I don't work for Lucas Oil. Rather inept moderator opinion IMO.

It's obvious you still haven't read the Forum Rules'.......
9. If you have questions, concerns, suggestions or complaints about the rules, moderation, or management of this site please contact a moderator via PM or iboats management for discussion. It is forbidden to debate these rules or their enforcement in the forum.
If you have problems, questions, feedback or suggestions about the forums or the iboats website, please post your comments HERE.

Here's the link, please take a moment to read them.
https://forums.iboats.com/forum/foru...ules-attention

WIMUSKY

Because you are wrong about Lucas Power Steering Stop leak you hurt other boaters with similar problems.

Lucas doesn't need your money or mine. They got RASCAR races - much more important.

Just writing about my experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Clearly this topic is still open, the 2 other topics you started that were soliciting were deleted

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Performance42, PLEASE checkout your last post....

Lucas sells the Power Steering SL and Hydraulic Fluid SL in 55 gallon drums

Google it.

Farmers with 5 tractors keep them running and lifting for years with Lucas.

BTW. I went to my boat today and tested the tilt for leaks, and not a drop of fluid leaked into water.
Prior to the thick red Lucas PS SL, it would leak fluid every time you hit the tilt switch.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
and no good mechanic or hydraulic engineer would ever run it.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Lucas sells the Power Steering SL and Hydraulic Fluid SL in 55 gallon drums

Google it.

Farmers with 5 tractors keep them running and lifting for years with Lucas.

BTW. I went to my boat today and tested the tilt for leaks, and not a drop of fluid leaked into water.
Prior to the thick red Lucas PS SL, it would leak fluid every time you hit the tilt switch.

Great. You're happy with it, we get it. Just like a friend of mine used some kind of stop leak for his cooling system. Worked for awhile, now it's leaking again. He's changing the intake gasket. It's a tractor.

Mine and other opinions is fix it right by replacing parts.

But you can do whatever you want, no sense in arguing over it...

Status
Not open for further replies.