Possessed DT85 Still Possessed It Just Wont Run Right

andrew j cox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So time for another round of yelling and throwing things at this damn Suzi, the spark loss appears to be some dodgey wiring the young owner did , the key switch is in the dash he exteneded the wires to move it, im guessing something gone awry there, to test the theory has does one hot wire a suzi, this motor is a white DT85 its an early 80s exactly how early i dont know but 84 be a good guess,
we are having adjustment issues with control cables at engine, trigger lever setting, carbs need fine tuning, the other day when it accelerated by itself it was running about 4 grand it sounded awesome, then the spark dropped out Id had enough told him to take it away before I flipped my **** big time, i needed the break from it,
today I have removed the trim tilt pump as it leaked badly he had wrapped the base in epoxy putty, i dug that off got the pipes out, threads are fine pipes are no cracks in base so teflon tape should seal the hoses, then its back 9nto the top section
i want to set the trigger up first, i found two notches which i assume is where they should be lined up,
i want to check timing, how?
ill check the carb choke and throttle linkages.
Been through the tank , line its all good.
Control cables are as well adjusted as they can be.
After the last run I dropped the plugs, these are new plugs, only one out of the three looked like it was working, other too plugs were clean as the day they went in, no sooting no nothing, i fitted two yammy coils i had to prove the original coils are ok, could there be two dead plugs? The plugs are brand new NGKs the plugs are standard car type plugs which is what come out of it, wouldnt it run the BUH-W or similar?
I have a spare motor which is a slightly later model 85hp it has the cdi box and other bits I can burgle if needed