#1 cylinder on a 1993 Yamaha Pro 50 gets no spar

fedbrillo

Recruit
Was out cruising a week ago, and had a piece of crap clog up the water tell tale port and cause the engine to overheat... The alarm went off so I shut it down immediately. In the process of removing the cover, I accidently broke the top cylinder spark plug wire. Since the wire was too short to fix, I got a complete replacement coil and wire.

Now the nmber 1 cylinder gets no spark. I thought it might be the new coil so I moved it to the number 2 spot and the number 2 coil to the number 1 spot and the problem stayed at the number 1 cylinder... so its not the new coil.

Ohmed out the CDI and it appears to be good. Checked continuity on the wire from the CDI to the coil....its good.

Any suggestions? Replace the CDI? Not sure I want to spend $600 on this old engine.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
a plugged tell tale will not overheat a motor.

you need to find out what caused the motor to overheat.
have you checked the water pump and thermostat?

there are pulser coils under the flywheel that send signals to the CDI telling it when to fire plugs.
there also lighting coils under there for charging battery and charge coils for charging the caps in the CDI
test all inputs and outputs of the CDI with the proper test equipment.
a service manual comes in handy with a lot of info about testing and test equipment needed along with the specs