This is normal, right?

5150abf

Vice Admiral
2018 F50

Shutting the boat down and doing my first 20 hour service, drained the lower and there is an astonishing amount of super fine metal dust, that is normal yes?

No chunks or anything just a really super fine dust, I assume from everything mating, just want to know that is normal.

robert graham

Admiral
How much is an astonishing amount?...a teaspoon, a tablespoon, more?.....normal would be a bit of metal dust/particles on the drain plug magnet....Maybe just refill with clean oil, run the motor for a few hours, then drain and re-check....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
New gear sets shed metal as part of the break in process. The reason you have a 20 hour lube change.

Suggest installing a magnetic drain plug to collect particles for future monitoring

Last edited:

5150abf

Vice Admiral
This is my first new-new engine so just wanted to make sure.

It has a magnetic drain plug in it that had a decent ball on the tip but the dust was mixed clear through all the oil, I was just surprised at the amount that came out but I don't think it was out of the ordinary.

In Indiana, probably wont run again till late march but I may do a mid year oil change.

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
is it too late to post a picture of your drain plug?

robert graham

Admiral
The particles floating in the oil may have been non-ferrous like brass, bronze, aluminum....otherwise they'd have been stuck to the magnet. It doesn't take a whole lot of metal flakes floating around in the oil to make it look like a lot, especially if you were looking at the oil in the direct sunlight glinting off of it.