2003 115 CV 2 stroke Yammie annoying start problem

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
As above,
2003 115 hp 2 stroke CV
boat has not had any use last 18 months untill the last couple of weeks
pulled carbies of and soaked/ cleaned orifices/jets ( apart from the large brass ones, heads started to strip ) of old fuel,
used compressor to blow crap out,
Float levels are good,

put new carb kit in ( apart from the above )

motor runs very well now APART from the slighty annoying issue of not wanting to start the next day without spraying fuel mix into the carbs,

once that is done will start all day long without problem,
idles at around 700 out of gear, 1100 ~ or so in gear

primer pumps plenty of fuel with line off as well but is at least 5 yrs old,

Gut feeling is that a minor throttle/ mix adjustment is needed,

thoughts?

it isn't really a big issue but l'd like to avoid pulling the cover off down at the boat ramp each time,
specially when Big Mouth Wally is there,

thanks

Last edited:

robert graham

Admiral
Is your carb enrichening device a Primestart and is it working and is the red lever in the "normal" position?....

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks,
l'm not familiar with the Primestart system,

this has a 703 remote, fast idle lever, switch for the electric choke solenoid, which works fine when needed,

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
If the carbs have choke plates and they funtion properly(close all of the way when the switch is engaged) there is no prime start system on that motor.

are you raising the fast idle lever some and then turning the key to start position while holding the choke switch in?

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
So, not the prime start system then,

yes, am using that procedure when attempting to start it,
or by using the manual choke lever as well rather than holding the choke switch up constantly

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
you need to look up prime start to see what it is..
a motor with chokes does not have it.
make sure the choke plats close off completely, it is hard for it to suck gas if they do not close properly

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Looked at youtube videos,
it's not Primestart,

no red levers, no 4 miles of dangly wires

just bog standard carbs and linkages,

choke plates have a little angle on them when closed, with a uniform very small gap around the edges
This is the cheap CV model
Still have to use premixed fuel...no oil tank
l read primestart started around '03 -'04?

maybe this was a early '03 model,
dunno

115 Bet
BE5 L

( Australian motor )

thanks for the help by the way, this is only the 2nd yammie we've had, the other was also a 115, didn't have that long

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
My 1999 C40TLRX has prime start, so it depends on motor when they started putting that on them.
I would be checking other motors just like yours to make sure how far the chokes should be closing, as that is the only reason I can think of that you have a cold start problem

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
I may change the primer bulb anyway as l've just remembered l put mine in this boat ( my sons ) and that is closer to 10 yrs old than 5 yrs,

still pumps well though without going soft but...

May just have to learn to live with it,

and go back to starting it at home prior to taking it down to the ramp, less than a minutes drive away,

thanks for the info and suggestion folks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Primer should not have anything to do with a cold start problem, unless you are not able to prime the carbs with it untill the bulb becomes firm/hard and will not pump anymore fuel