Help please! What should I do with this metal squeaky noise?

Knotstrait

Seaman Apprentice
I have this Yamaha 2006 8hp 2stroke lovely motor, 2seasons ago was seized up, I used the kroil to free it, it ran great! And last season it seized again I did the same thing, it was unseized, But with a Metal squeaky noise, but I ran it anyway, it ran good with no problem, I had it sit on my boat for about 45 days without using it, it seized up again, this time, I didn't use anything to free it yet, just tried to turn it with the bar, it got loosed but still with this metal noise(the video I try to post but won't let me)
Can someone please tell me what is the best thing to do without breaking my bank? I am not a mechanic, I did cleaned sever carbs, and like to take things apart and put it back!:D
Any input will be deeply appreciated!
thank you for reading!

​​​​​​​Penny

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It seized once and then again. The motor will have to be opened up to see why. Probably not anything nice inside - Sorry.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
You have seized it 3 times, the metal squeaky noise is probably the rods and cranks shaft grinding together and the bores have to be completely torn up.

When you seize an engine it means the parts inside have gotten so hot they swell and come in contact with other parts meaning metal to metal contact, you may pull that off once and be ok but 3 times I think the engine is beyond repair

Do you run the correct oil and ratio in this engine, 2 stroke outboard oil?

2 stroke oil is different than outboard oil, I don't understand how you seize an engine 3 times.

Something is fundamentally wrong with the engine if it continues to seize, running lean, no oil, wrong oil.

Your issue isn't that is seized it is what made it seize.3 times

I would say you are in for a complete rebuild from the crank out

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Maybe there is a screw loose under the flywheel ?------And you should not turn a motor like that in both directions.-----A wee bit of inspection needs to be done here.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I have this Yamaha 2006 8hp 2stroke lovely motor, 2seasons ago was seized up, I used the kroil to free it, it ran great! And last season it seized again I did the same thing, it was unseized, But with a Metal squeaky noise, but I ran it anyway, it ran good with no problem, I had it sit on my boat for about 45 days without using it, it seized up again, this time, I didn't use anything to free it yet, just tried to turn it with the bar, it got loosed but still with this metal noise(the video I try to post but won't let me)
Can someone please tell me what is the best thing to do without breaking my bank? I am not a mechanic, I did cleaned sever carbs, and like to take things apart and put it back!:D
Any input will be deeply appreciated!
thank you for reading!

​​​​​​​Penny

Penny,
you need to tell us if you were running an oil and gas mixture and at what ratio.

lack of oil, lean gas to air ratio running(overheat) , and thermostat not opening(overheat) can and will seize a motor.
it needs to come apart to see what all is wrong with it now

Knotstrait

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you guys for all the answers, I did run it on about 70:1 a lil reacher than Yamaha 100:1 since last seized. It looks so complicated to open it, but I will try to do it as a winter project, but I don’t know what to looking for! I bought another Yamaha 8hp, don’t know what year it’s has “8CM”on it, the seller guessed it’s a 2012, it was in the garage sit for 3-4years, took 100 pulls to get it started, first minute itidle ok, I put in forward and then it die down, after that, it started but die without good idle. The compression test both are 82 psi, is it a dirty Carb?

thank you again

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
sitting for years would mean it needs a carb clean if it was not stored properly.
fogged to protect the shiny internal surfaces and all fuel drained out of the carb , pump and lines.

not sure what compression gauge you used, how well it works,and the procedure you checked the compression could affect the reading you get.
82 PSI sounds very low for even a 2 stroke

as said before if it was not stored properly the cylinder walls/rings could have rusted and not sealing well

Knotstrait

Seaman Apprentice
99yam40, Thank you for your info, if I want to take apart for my 06 8hp, do I need a special tool to disassemble the flying wheel? Where can I buy it? My local mechanic told me, if I want to fix the power head will cost me 1600-, 😱🤦‍♂️😰😱😱😱 that’s why I like to try to take it apart look what’s wrong in there!
thank you!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I know very little about those small Yams, but if you are handy and mecanicaly inclined you could take it apart.
but if you have never took apart any motor, I am not sure you have the tools and knowelge.

I would think an air or battery operated inpact could remove the flywheel nut with out a flywheel holding device, but you will still have to use a flywheel puller o get it off

5150abf

Vice Admiral
I would start by popping the head off and looking at the cylinder walls, should be a pretty easy job.

If they are really scored up, as I am sure they are, you are in for a rebuild which as you know is more than the engine is probably worth.

As I said, after being seized 3 time I doubt there is much left of them.

Knotstrait

Seaman Apprentice
5150abf today I look at the motor, try to figure out how to take it apart with everything attached on the power head, I really admire all the mechanics, how they can take the so complicated things apart and REMEMBER how to put it back, my problem is I afraid I forget how to put it back correctly......😂😅😂😅😱😱😱😱😰😰😰😰, May be I should sell it as a part motor without messing up with it, or just keep it as my spare parts motor since I bought a 2012 same motor! If I want sell it as a part motor, how much can I ask for? It looks so new, the prop looks like new one, I only used it less the 5hours per year as it was my dinghy motor!

Knotstrait

Seaman Apprentice
is There a apps can play the video backwards? So I can video tapping it when I take it apart, then when I put it back, Just play it backwards! 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
sounds very much like rings, pistons and bores making noises that aren’t supposed to. Your compression test figures are low. Its unusual to have such an identical number on both cylinders if that’s what you meant. Good to have similar but unusual to have identical, if you know what I mean.
These wee things are dead easy to pull apart. If nothing else, take the head off it. Think it’s inky about 10/12 bolts. They are numbered in order. Start with number 12 or 10. Whatever is highest, loosen off in order and have a look. You’re answer is likely going to be very obvious once you do this, I’d think.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
What I will do is when you take something off put the bolt loosely back in the hole so you don't have a pile of them and no way to tell which goes where.

Also take a picture before you take it apart, label everything with a piece of tape.

The head should be pretty straight forward, maybe 8-10 bolts, I am new to Yamaha, was an Evinrude guy for years so don't know much about them but a motor is a motor in the end.

YouTube has videos on everything and they are a great resource so look up some of those.

Again, having seized this engine 3 times I am certain it is toasted and would require a complete rebuild.

I would also go to 50;1, might be a little extra oil but you aren't going to hurt anything ever, spark plugs are cheap, rebuilds aren't.