Yamaha 2001 200 hp hpdi stalls when advancing throttle in neutral

Pacill

Cadet
Hello All,

Have an odd one here. when I start my engine and break away the throttle to raise the rpm's a bit it stall every time. This is something new. The port engine does not do this. I have had this on the diagnostic program and all test are good. Need some input on this. Some history look at my recent post for this motor to see what was done to it. "Yamaha 2001 200hp no power stalls"

Thanks for any input!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
you do know that when in neutral the ECU shuts down cylinders as the RPM is raised to help protect the motor.
If for some reason you have a problem with one or more cylinders that are suppose to keep runing, the motor with stall

Pacill

Cadet
Checked all while running diagnostics, took out one cylinder at a time no faults but what you say makes me believe that the Electronic control module may be at fault considering the other engine can (and this one in the past) be brought up in rpm's and run at a fast idle of about 1100 with no problem. I mean this engine stalls as soon as I raise the throttle the slightest bit.
As if the power to the whole ignition was cut off. Crazy! But if I put it in gear it will throttle up with no problem.

Pacill

Cadet
History
2001 Yamaha hpdi with 500 hrs. Some history. Had old gas in the tanks (almost 200). Added fuel stabilizer, pulled about 5 gallons of water out of the tanks. removed about 25 gallons of gas and replaced it with fresh gas. ran the gas thru a 2 micron filter and back into the boat. Put the removed gas into my old jeep and it ran fine. I bought the motors used so I had to perform much maintenance so I would have a good starting point.
1 Changed the fuel lines from the tank.
2 Installed new 2 micron filters.
3 New low pressure pumps.
4 New fuel filters under cowling.
5 New vst electric pump and filter.
6 New metal hi pressure strainer filter.
6 Had injectors RX in Texas rebuild the hi pressure pumps and clean and test the injectors.
7 Cleaned the oxygen sensors.
8 New water pumps.
9 Compression 110/115 all
10 New Thermostats

Hooked up Yamaha Diagnostic program and find no faults.

Motors run better on the hose than when in the water. starboard engine runs up to 29 hundred while the port stalls when I give it gas. I think the starboard. engine is maxing out at 29 hundred due to taking the whole load of pushing the GW Sportbtidge 25' boat. Ran the motor on a external tank with new gas and ring free, no change.

Update, Found one plug clean as new looked at the coil and found the red lead pulled slightly from the plug. Not making a connection repaired same. Revs up in gear now (no load) But the problem of stalling as soon as I try to raise the rpm's in neutral still exists.

BBRU

Recruit
Hi. New to this forum, but I have this exact problem with my 2001 Yam HPDI Z200. Did you ever discover the cause?

rejesterd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Start a new thread and give the specifics of your issue and what you've already tried to fix it.