Suzuki kill switch

Nytebyte

Cadet
I picked up a 1981 Suzuki DT 16 2 stroke yesterday at a auction. Everything seems to be good on it but the kill switch. It is at the end of the throttle control and the rubber end is gone. It appears to be a push in to stop that would make contact with 2 metal probes to kill the engine. The part is obsolete and pricy to find one used. The question is am I correct in the way it works? Does it just ground the 2 probes? If that is the case I would think I can just pickup a universal and connect to the wires that are there. I would have to move it to the face of the motor cover but there are some rubber plugs that could be removed to put it in and that would give me the lanyard style of kill switch, Thanks for any help on this. Jim

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I am not familiar with that old DT motor, but all of the other outboards I have played with grounded the voltage out of the CDI to stop the motor from running.
easy enough to check it out once you get it running

Nytebyte

Cadet
I will give it a try. I was thinking that if I was wrong about shorting the prongs out to kill the engine it could damage the electronic ignition ? I can change plugs and do impellers but no nothing about electrical LOL.