To rebuild or not to rebuild

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
ok so I’ve recently acquired a stunning and rare original CVX16 roger Clark glastron with the original yam 115 v4. Normally bomb proof but the last short term careless owner allowed the oil tank to get filled with water after letting the bilge fill way too high with rain water. He ran it until it eventually stopped and seized.
I got it in this condition. Freed it off but apparent no compression in bottom left cylinder. Pulled head off and it’s piston is damaged badly along with some scoring in cylinder.
Should I rebuild or forget it and replace the engine. Seems a shame since the engine seems lovely other than that. It’s a 1985. Should o be worried about the crankshaft too ?
thanks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
water in an outboard is bad. since the oil provided lubrication....and then it wasnt there, the power head is a boat anchor. it may be savable, however a 34 year old 115 power head should be about $200 to simply buy a used and running powerhead.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
water in an outboard is bad. since the oil provided lubrication....and then it wasnt there, the power head is a boat anchor. it may be savable, however a 34 year old 115 power head should be about $200 to simply buy a used and running powerhead.

I wish I could find one. That’s the problem there really.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would suggest Ebay, but the prices are 10X what they should be. for what they want for a remanufactured power head, i build my big block.