Suzuki 2006 DF2.5 4 stroke - Power unit removal

b_arrington

Cadet
Need to change the impeller on a 2006 Suzuki DF2.5 4 stroke. The service manual says to release the lower unit, the power head needs to be removed. Step 1 is: Remove the four engine mounting bolts.Detach the power unit with the lower cover.

I've done this, but the power unit seems to be firmly stuck. Any tips / suggestions for removing the power unit? I used a screwdriver and deadblow hammer to carefully tap on a couple spots where I can access the block through the plastic housing. The unit seems top have shifted side to side / rotationally, but I see no movement off the shaft.

raczekp1

Lieutenant
i did impeler change but no need to remove powerhead?
just only drop the lower unit

b_arrington

Cadet
I tried to drop only the lower unit. It would not disengage.

I then got the official service manual. Step 1 for servicing the lower unit states to detach the power unit. This provides access to detach clips / springs from the shift rod.

How did you access the water pump in the lower unit? Removing the two bolts on top of the gear case / driveshaft housing.

b_arrington

Cadet
Thanks. I found that earlier. It doesn't really show the process of disassembly, just a select few steps after disassembly and some of the reassembly. It does show that the drive shaft can come out with just the lower unit if the power head is still attached, which I think is your point.

After a couple hours of using various techniques to remove the power head, I've concluded that the drive shaft has been welded to the crankshaft via galvanic corrosion. The power head loosens, but won't come off. I can't get any penetrating oil to it because of the single-piece lower engine cover. Even my instructor (I'm using this engine in a general outboard repair class) is puzzled.

My last-ditch effort will be to go through the lower gear case. I'll try to remove the clip holding the drive shaft on the pinion gear, then remove the two bolts that secure the lower unit. Hopefully the shaft will slide out. If that doesn't work this thing will never have a new water pump.

raczekp1

Lieutenant
i think if the owner of this movie could separate lower unit from midsection so you can do it the same.
for me its crazy to lift powerhead to get acces to water pump

b_arrington

Cadet
I don't disagree that removing the power head is weird. That is, however, the official Suzuki procedure. I believe in the video the drive shaft slides out of the power head. However, the drive shaft in my motor seems to be locked into the power head and won't come out either by removing the head or simply splitting the bottom unit. The pin through the lower shaft that turns the water impeller prevents the lower unit from coming off if the upper end of the shaft is stuck.

I think my only hope is to try to remove the shaft from the bottom end of the gear case, and then remove the lower unit.

b_arrington

Cadet
Removing the eclip from the pinion gear did not allow the lower unit to slide off the shaft. Even though there were no other pins holding it, the drive smart was firmly in the lower unit.

As a last ditch effort I whacked on the lower unit with a rubber mallet (retaining bolts were out). After a few hits the lower unit dropped out with the drive shaft. Success!

Removing the water pump housing allowed the drive shaft to be removed.

Then I took off the power head. I found that the gasket sealing the power head to the drive shaft housing was bad. This let both raw and exhaust water into the area where the drive shaft fits into the crank shaft. I saw a lot of corrosion in that connection, which was why the power unit was stuck. The metal oil seal protector plate was heavily corroded and the drive shaft oil seal was also heavily damaged. Now it's simply a matter of receiving parts, cleaning, and reassembling.