Yamaha VF150XA No Water out pee hole

tsduke

Recruit
I won't be able to use my boat for a while so I added some stabilizer and backed the boat down the ramp to run some of the fuel into the motor. I ran it for a little bit but never got anything out the hole. It was only about 50 degrees. It's usually much warmer out when I use it so water comes out fairly soon. I just can't recall how it behaved last spring when is was this cool.

Does the motor have to reach a certain temp before the pump kicks in? Anyone know how long before water should come out the pee hole.?

PS: I didn't run the boat. Just sat on the trailer in neutral. Kicked the rpms up to 1000 a couple times, but didn't run it long because I got nervous no water was coming out.

Thanks.

tsduke

Recruit
So I hooked up a garden hose to the flush connection and still no water out of the hole. So I ran some weed whacker line up the pee hole and cleared some gunk out. Now I have water out the pee hole with hose flush running.

Now I hope I didn't run it too long yesterday. I don't know what the overheat alarm sounds like but I didn't hear any alarms to my knowledge.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
some motors use the tell tail water to cool the rectifier and /or fuel cooler.
if the TT was plugged up it would not hurt the motor itself as long as the water pump was pumping or the flush attachment was furnishing cooling water to the motor itself

tsduke

Recruit
So with a plugged TT the motor would continue to be cooled by the pump? Where does that water exit if TT is plugged then? Sorry I'm still learning the in and outs of all this.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
out with the exhaust thru the prop,
the small amount of water out the TT is not enough to cool a motor

tsduke

Recruit
My TT never starts peeing right away and seems to take forever on muffs when I winterized last year. Would it be thermostat activated?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
no, you are just not furnishing enough water to that big of a motor with muffs to fill up the block quickly