New outboard Suzuki vs Yamaha

Toyelectroman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am placing an order on a new pontoon 20 foot with a 115 outboard. The dealership sells Suzuki and Yamaha and can rig it up with either for about the same price. They kind of suggested Suzuki but i am not sure if they are just saying that or if they really mean it. Which one do you all think i should get? I have very little experience with outboards as I have been and I/O boater for the last 20 years

rejesterd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think either would be fine. They're both known to be reliable brands. If you plan on having the dealer service it going forward, then take their suggestion.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Yamaha has about the best rep when it comes to use in salt water. I don’t know much about the Suzuki 4 strokes, but I do remember their 2 stokes as being well engineered and made
A few carefully chosen questions may reveal the dealers/salesman choice. Incentive programs to move product, or maybe a large slow moving inventory, are often factors when a dealer sells more than one line of engine.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
I ran a Suzy on my pontoon and had no problems. Ran nice, quiet, but not 40HP not a 115. The dealer sells both so parts should not be a problem. Some Suzy owners have had warranty issues but then we only get one side of the discussion.

ralphy670

Petty Officer 1st Class
My father in law has a 115 Suzuki 4 stroke and it seems to be a bit quieter than my 150 yamaha but only above 4000 rpm.

Again mine is a 150 not the 115

Doh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Your Dealer is pointing you to Suzuki because he is making More Profit. I went through it last year starting as a Repower, that wound up as a New Outfit. BTW I was repowering a 20 YO. near flawless Yamaha.

Shopping, I was able to purchase a 140A, with SS Prop and Troll Mode, for less than a VF115 and the same as a F115 without the extras.

The things I liked better about the Suzuki (other than price). Timing Chain over Belt, Bigger Reduction ='s Bigger Diameter Prop (Great on a Toon) Larger Displacement, and Better Warranty.

Toyelectroman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That is what i was thinking that might get a better kickback on selling the Suzuki, but from i searched that it is splitting hairs as far as quality between the two