Yamaha F150XB Impeller/Winterizing

ralphy670

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good evening folks,

I am new to the outboard world coming from an I/O Mercruiser.

I have changed the oil and drive oil however I am paranoid about freezing. The motor is in the down position and I believe all the water drained but it seems too easy compared to an I/O. Should I pump Marine antifreeze through the flush port? It gets cold up here in the North.

Also, when I ran it on muffs to run stabilizer through, the alarm went off after about 8 to 10 minutes. I cant tell what triggered it however I believe it was the temperature. Being paranoid, I pulled the drive to check the impeller and have attached a picture. It seems fine to me, no melting and the bottom plate and cup have no signs of wear. Does this impeller appear worn?

Attachments

• impeller 1.jpg
    impeller 1.jpg
    618.7 KB · Views: 0
  • impeller 2.jpg
    impeller 2.jpg
    987.2 KB · Views: 0

rejesterd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I store my boat outside in the NH winter. I don't use antifreeze on my F50 because the owners manual nor the service manual recommend it. I flush it with water then trim the engine up and down 3-4 times to make sure the water gets out. If your manual says nothing about antifreeze, I wouldn't use it.

That impeller and gasket look worn. I would get the impeller replacement kit and do it in the spring. If you never received that overheat alarm out on the water, then you might need to get better muffs or just fill a garbage can with water instead of using muffs.

robert graham

Admiral
That impeller is really warn....replace it now and then about every couple of years thereafter. It's a good idea to drop lower unit every year to inspect, clean, grease...especially drive shaft splines.

ralphy670

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys. This engine was new in June and only has about 12 hours on it. I think it may have worn prematurely due to water flow from the muffs I have.

I'll order a kit over the winter and change it in the spring.

robert graham

Admiral
Remember to buy a new stainless collar that sits right above impeller...you may tear it up getting it off..

ralphy670

Petty Officer 1st Class
How can you tell if the bottom plate needs replacing? It is smooth and no gouges. The dealer has an impeller only and said just to change it. The cup also appears fine.

Any recommendations on what to replace? I reinstalled the drive after taking these pictures and ran it on muffs with a strap around them so they were tighter. Water came out the tell tale in about 3 to 5 seconds

rejesterd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If the dealer had the repair kit, he'd tell you to buy that instead. He just wants to sell you an impeller.

I definitely see scratches and marks on the bottom plate in that picture. I always get the kit. Pretty sure yours is 61A-W0078-A3-00

ralphy670

Petty Officer 1st Class
So here is the plate. The small marks that appear to be from a screwdriver were there. I removed the impeller by hand and did not insert anything to pry it off. This is a new engine so I am wondering where these marks came from. Any thoughts?

Anyway,the plate is smooth to the touch but I think I will replace it as advised.

Attachments

• plate.jpg
    plate.jpg
    592.1 KB · Views: 0
  • plate 2.jpg
    plate 2.jpg
    525.5 KB · Views: 0

rejesterd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's normal for the plate to wear. Probably sand, dirt, or salt getting in there.