Yamaha outboard hard to to turn over

swapdip

Cadet
Hey all thanks in advance for the help. Recently picked up a cheap Yamaha 25hp 4 stroke tiller elec start outboard. Prev owner said it was seized for unknown period of time. I drained oil, soaked in PB for a week, put a 5ft breaker bar to the flywheel, busted it free. So far so good. Everything rotates around when turning on the breaker bar, pistons go in and out, no grinding or metal in the oil, etc. The only problem is its very hard to turn over, way too hard for the starter motor but I can do it one handed with a 18 inch ratchet. Plugs are out, I have been soaking with PB and turning it over by hand for about a week now and while it is definitely not seized, it doesn't seem to be getting any easier to turn over. The air wrench and starter motor at the same time can't even get it around. I feel like if I could just get it going fast enough the oil pump would start pumping oil and distribute some lubricant and help me out.

What im trying to do is avoid a complete tear down, of course that might be wishful thinking, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips before I go there.

Thanks again

rejesterd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You want to squirt as much motor oil into the cylinders as you can with the plugs out while you're rotating it. Then let it sit with the motor oil, not PB. Get the PB out of there. Also, fill it with new oil via the regular fill port as well. That's about all you can do.