2015 Yamaha 50 hp 4 stroke shift linkage frozen

This, to me, is a fairly new motor (50 hours) that is garage kept and carefully maintained. I rinse and flush after each run, keep up maintenance, extended warranty, etc. today while trying to launch, shifter would not move into fwd or rev... disconnected shift cable and cable moving fine. Noticed a LOT of corrosion built up on shifter mechanism fwd, just ahead of powerhead !!

I rinse motor with fresh water spray and use dealer recommended spray for engine, regularly check for ANY signs of corrosion. This linkage is very difficult to see... no idea even any corrosion there... I was able to get it to shift into fwd and back with some pressure on the shifter, still will not shift using shift/throttle arm...

Apparently problem is not in foot, but in that mechanism. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm planning to soak with a penetrant to try and break free myself. ... but this should not be happening on a fairly new Yamaha!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
could there be a water leak up around the power head that is getting saltwater in that area?
there should not be any type of water getting into that

did you ever figure out where your 2000 F50 was getting water into it from back in 2013?

Last edited:
Thanks for reply.... water leak in 2000 F50? I had BAAD carb issues, jets gumming up... followed advice from here, switched to a 10 micron filter and seems to be ok, still running it!! :)

On the other...... and you're right... should not be any water getting in that area on the 2015... very hard to see when I'm doing maintenance... never noticed corrosion down in there before or anywhere.... Have never noticed salt water spraying up into that area when underway...but there is NO other corrosion anywhere else... no salt build up on wiring, housing.... next time I go out will have a buddy run it so I can hang over the transom and look for spray...

I used a penetrating spray and carefully working it, got it to engage into fwd/rev. not quite as easy shifting as before, but will still continue working at it and will def keep it lubed from now on....but this should not be happening... and to get to that part to remove and completely clean, inspect....... assuming you have to pull the powerhead??

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
pulling power head is my thoughts, but I have never worked on one of those otors