Electrical issues

Sriso100

Cadet
I have a 1990 Yamaha 200 two stroke. I recently replaced the steering bracket. I had a post for my broken quick connect plug but I wanted to start a new one. Everything was working great up until then. I accidentally ruined the 10 pin harness and decided to hard wire it back together. Long story short I ended up having intermittent electrical issues. When I turned the key on the main gauge would light up like normal. However once I tried to start the motor it would shut off the power to the gauge. I got nothing. As soon as I let the key go the power came back on. I’d have to wiggle the wires around and eventually I’d get it to start. I ended up buying a used engine harness and a brand new harness for the control side. I now had the 10 pin quick connect again. Almost the same issues remain. Power will come on but instead of the power being killed when I turn the key I’ll get one click from the starter area on the motor. Again when I let the key go the power comes back on. Now I trimmed the motor up and when I went to trim it back down it wouldn’t work. When I try to trim up or down I get clicks from the relays. Both batteries are fully charged and were load tested. I removed all battery connections and cleaned them and tightened them all down. All connections on the harness and trim and starter are all right as well. I’m totally lost.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
bad connection or cable if the battery is good.
use a volt meter and start checking at different places while loading it circuit with T&T .

you mentioned both batteries are good,so you have a battery switch. good chance the problem is there

tommarvin

Ensign
You need a new ignition switch, I dont know its just a guess.
We just got a marpac stop, run, start, push to choke, the point make sure you get the correct ignition switch how may wires or which connector do you need search hard,
The T&T tilt and trim sounds like a fuse is burned up, there is a up relay and a down relay, for example if the motor wont go up you can remove and install the down relay to test if its the relay, check every fuse and every wire connection pull the wire hard.
If its not the switch its a wire.