1996 Yamaha 15 hp

w2much

Lieutenant
Found another issue on this one. The crank case leaks air behind the power pack. Other than ppulling the power head and opening it up to reseal can anything be done on the outside along the leak spot?

w2much

Lieutenant
I might add that it runs pretty good . Problem is a gulping type sound when running. When I spray starting fluid along the seam behind where the CDI is mounted the engine will stutter or stall.

tommarvin

Ensign
You the man you found the leak,good for you!
Im with you dont pull the power head only as a last resort to fix the leak.
Are you sure its not a hose or anything else,remove the power pack and start the motor on muffs and make sure, sounds weird for a 96 yam crank case to suck air,odds favor something else no disrespect.
There are alot of products you can use to stop an air leak, Theres liquid rubber products that wont damage anything,cover the spot and stop the leak.

w2much

Lieutenant
I will be a bit more thorough. I did remove the CSI and behind it was an inscription by hand it was a date 06/ 07/ 17 as if perhaps the motor was rebuilt or crank case repaired on said date. I may just run it with the CSI hanging but grounded and a temporary seal on the crank case seam