2016 Yamaha VF115 SHO VMAX 115hp Trim gauge installation?

thyNemesis

Seaman
Hello,

I recently installed new gauges in my boat, I've included a "TRIM" and water "PSI" gauge.

I've traced the "TRIM" sensor in between the mounting brackets up into the lower engine cowling, It's a pink wire that goes into a disconnected Molex type connector with yellow tape wrapped around both loose ends. I was told by someone that this wire is routed under the console area, where I could attach it to my new TRIM gauge. I've searched for this wire under the console and couldn't find it any where. Could I run a separate wire and attach it to this Molex type connector with the yellow taped I spoke of earlier? The gauge I purchased is a standard generic type gauge.

I also can't seem to find a place on the engine to install the PSI tube adapter into? I can't seem to find any place to install this adapter into the water jacket somewhere, any ideas?

Thanks.
Jeff

tommarvin

Ensign
Try the separate wire on the trim and see what happens.You could just turn around and look at the motor like we do.
The psi gauge is a waste in my humble opinion, when a plastic bag wraps around your water intake your motor is going to burn up like me brother in laws motor did.
Your better off to get a motor loud overheat alarm, to turn the motor off as fast as possible.and save the motor.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Contrarian here with respect to a pressure gauge. I find it a good tool to use to monitor the state of the water pump. At X RPM I normally see Y water pressure on the gauge. At some point in time I can see Y water pressure start to get lower at X engine RPM. As the water pump wears and is less effective at pumping water. When Y pressure gets to a certain value I use that as the time to service the motor.

With respect to the trim I think I have already answered this exact same question. The two single pink wires are not used. They are to be left disconnected. There is another four pin connector in the bottom cowling that connects to a Yamaha harness that runs to the dash. The pink wire in that harness feeds trim sensor data to a trim gauge.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
If it is like the F90 Boscoe told me about lately, there is a 4 wire oil/trim harness that heads up to the console to the gauges if it was installed and has/or had Yamaha gauges.
it it did not have Yamaha stuff, then you will need to run a wire

not sure where the water pressure hooks to, maybe Boscoe will drop back by and give that info.

seems I read some motors put a tee in to the tell tale and others had plugs you unscrewed from heads to install a fitting

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
I have answered his questions on another forum. I guess folks like to get multiple answers from multiple forums and then pick the answer they wanted to hear.

thyNemesis

Seaman
I guess you got it wrong, I asked the same question on another forum for a reason other than what you say.
That reason being, not everyone with information I seek visits every forum, so after a few days of waiting for a response here on this forum I decided seek out others since I don't want to wait forever to solve my problem.I got the answer I was seeking and completed the job with the information provided. So, if the first answer I got was the wrong answer I'm not allowed to get multiple possible solutions? Strange.

But thanks for your response, it was helpful.

Not looking to start a flame war, just the other side of my thinking.
Peace, g-day.
Thanks.