New F70 stalls in forward

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
First, I know it's under warranty but my problem is now intermittent and probably not the motor I don't want to waste time if I'm told it worked fine in the shop.

So, new F70 running along on plane suddenly shuts off. Restarted fine (back in neutral) but as soon as I put it in forward it cuts off. Restarting and putting it in reverse worked fine. Moving the shift lever forward after disengaging the shift reved the motor like normal. The motor cutting out coincided with my gps also turning off, as if something shorted the electrical system.Checking under the hood in the proximity of the shift cable I found a switch with two blue wires. Immediately after cutting off, and with the ignition still on I noted a wisp of smoke from this area and smell of burnt electric.

My best guess is that inside my control box a wire or switch is shorting out, killing the motor and that the smoke at the motor switch is a symptom of a control box problem and not the problem itself.

I have pulled the control box from the console and thats where I am now.

Also, disconnecting the shift cable at the motor and shifting to forward manually worked fine.

Any input what to look for and where? I don't know my way around the innards of the control box.

Last edited:

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
I opened the control box and located what seemed to be a start in gear control switch. I removed the switch from the box but left it connected, (wired in). Now to start the boat I must push the switch on manually while turning the ignition switch. Everything seems to be working OK. I did not see where the switch was shorting but didn't really look that close. I'll monitor the sitcheeation.

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
Thinking about the mechanics of what is going on, I wonder if the problem could be a misadjusted shift cable? The terminals on the switch were clearly marked NO and NC so that I saw that with the shift lever in neutral the switch was in the closed position. Moving the lever forward opens the switch. Oddly, I thought I could recreate the problem by closing the switch while in gear but it had no effect...

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
there is a good chance you voided your warranty by taking things apart.
in the remote control, that switch that opens in gear just keeps the starter motor from engaging while not in neutral.

letting the magic smoke out of electrical things is never good.

loosing power to the motor and gauges is more likely a bad connection not a short
check from battery all of the way thru including the negative/grounds

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
The controls were from my old motor and have been out of warranty for a long time.

I understand and appreciate your point but I don't see any correlation between losing power from a bad connection that only happens the moment the shifter moves forward and never ever any other time.

If the switch in the controls, controls the starter, than what does the switch that is connected to the shift linkage on the motor do? (see photo. the thing at the end of the blue and black wires)

WAIT! Back the truck up, look at the red battery cable where you can see it under the switch bracket...

Attachments

• photo301450.jpg
    photo301450.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: