Gauges for kicker motor?

tsbrewers

Cadet
Hey all, I just added a used Yamaha T8 kicker to my boat and I am wondering if I should be hooking up a gauge or two to the kicker motor? The main motor is a Yamaha F60 which is hooked up the gauges on the console, so I am wondering if I can just tie in to the same set of console gauges? or if I should add a multi gauge for the kicker itself, or not worry about at all?

Thanks,

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your yamaha 60 has sensors, and everything to make adding gauges easy.

your kicker doesnt have provisions to add sensors

the only gauge you can add easily is an inductive tach.

you would have to have separate gauges

however as a kicker, your not worried about high speed. you simply want it idling along slowly. the only thing the tach would come in handy for is the hour meter for service. yet 99% of the motors hit the calendar trigger for maintenance and not an hour limit

so what is the point?

alldodge

Staff member
Temp gauge might be the one I think of, if it has a place to install one

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I believe that the low oil/high temp warning light system takes up any potential locations for a gauge temp sender

tsbrewers

Cadet
Thanks, I wasn't too concerned about them, but I didn't know if I should do some kind of temp/oil/etc. gauge in case of issues. It is a remote setup and not a tiller, so it might have more sensors available than a tiller model. (I don't know, that is a guess) I have the full compliment of wires coming from the control.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
look at the manual.

should have ignition/start/batt/ground/choke/idiot warning coming thru the wire bundle

tsbrewers

Cadet
Thanks, no manual, but I will see what I can find online. the idiot lights realistically would be my biggest concern.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I think its a combo light comes on for either high temp or low oil

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Just install an induction hour-tach for the portable and check that's running full wot revs factory stated as loaded. Will surely need to install a less prop pitch from current one for that purpose for OB to push combo much better than if doing nothing.

Can install the tach at front cowl...

Happy Boating