1997 50 hp hard to start and keep running

Mosher

Recruit
Hello everyone. I have had problems with this outboard for some time now and would like advice. I bought a new fuel line and changed tanks and thought I had it but now it is hard to keep running for the first while. The motor has prime start and will run at 1400 rmp and then die when it idles down. It starts and put it into gear as soon as it drops idle to about 900 then have to fight the throttle to keep it running. Eventually it runs at 1200 rpms then 1900 and so on until it finally will plane and run normal. After that it works well for the day.

thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Clean the carbs and make sure enrichment system works as it should.

could be the motor is running too lean or too rich after the initial warm up
restricted pilot jets, or maybe enrichment not shutting off as it should.

set it to specs in manual and make sure you follow the link and sync procedure every time you put the carbs back on

Mosher

Recruit
I will give that a try. I did have it to the dealer twice for carbs and they said it ran well after. They also changed the power pack to the tune of $1,300.00.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
where are you located?
seems here in the USA the CDI runs about $400

Mosher

Recruit
I am in north central Saskatchewan, Canada. Parts are expensive here compared to US prices! would it be worth changing the Prime Start unit to eliminate it as well? About $150.00 for that part here.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Test it to make sure it moves.
Pull it out and measure the length of needle
put 12 volts on it for a few minutes and recheck length to see if it moved out

make sure the diaphragm and passages are good.

just had a thought, is the red lever set to auto?

Mosher

Recruit
I will test the prime start first. The red lever is in the auto position. Thanks.