2004 Yamaha 115 Warning Buzzer Problem

Bsellers22

Cadet
Looking for some help with my motor. Here is some background:

Warning buzzer did not sound prior to taking motor off the boat.

Once I took it off I decided to run it on the stand. Immediately after I turn the key over a straight buzzer is heard. This is the overheating buzzer but the engine is cold. I recently replaced the external oil tank pump but this can't be the issue because the onboard tank is full. I decided to disconnect everything to see if the buzzer goes off. With the temperature sensors and all oil sensors disconnected the buzzer still goes off when the key is turned. The only way the buzzer is not heard is when the pink wire on the buzzer in the 703 control box is disconnected.

I ran the motor for 5 min with the pink wire disconected confident the motor was getting oil and could not be overheating because it was cold. I was getting a steady stream and the cylinder heads were cool smoke was coming out at start up so it was getting oil.

So could the buzzer itself be bad? Look forward to yall's expertise.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Some motors will sound the buzzer if the kill switch is activated while turning the motor over

did you also take the controls off of the boat and hook them up while on a stand?

Bsellers22

Cadet
Yes, I hooked up the controls on the stand. I tried the kill switch both activated and pulled the cord, same buzzer.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
check it with a meter to see if it is open when clip is in place.
could you have damaged the wiring?

Does it sound the buzzer just when the key is in the start position and the motor is turning over?

Last edited:

Bsellers22

Cadet
7.78V with the clip connected. 0v with the clip disconnected. Weird part is the buzzer stopped after 5 seconds with the clip connected this time.

Bsellers22

Cadet
I plugged every thing back in ( Temp sensors and Oil sensors) continuous buzzing has now returned.

Bsellers22

Cadet
The buzzer sounds when the key is in the start position and when turning the motor over.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
with everything else hooked up properly Disconnect the kill switch again to see if the buzzer stops.
and then test it on the ohms setting to see it it is open or not.
where were you taking a voltage reading at?
what were you putting the leads onto?

Bsellers22

Cadet
I'll give it another shot when I get home. I read voltage with the key on buzzing at me. Right on the black and white wire connections. Ill read the resistance (ohms) with the key off and the kill switch disconnected as you suggested. Thanks for your help.

Bsellers22

Cadet
Ok. Everything is hooked up and the lanyard is disconnected... Buzz is still on as expected.

With the key off. The switch is showing .4 ohms with the lanyard in or not. Continuity is beeping in both conditions telling me the kill switch is not open... its closed. What confuses me is how i got the motor to start in this condition. Am I missing something?

Bsellers22

Cadet
Well I'm getting closer.

Started with the external tank harness this afternoon. If I unplug it and turn the key over it will beep for 5-10 seconds then stop!

So started looking for damaged wires... didn't find anything terrible.
Then I tested the external tank float. Plugged the wiring harness back in at the engine and disconnected at the tank. turn the key over.. still buzzes for 5-10 seconds then stops. If the float is is up the buzzer will sound! if the float is down it will stop. Seems like a bad float sensor. Any thoughts?

Bsellers22

Cadet
I'm not sure about much....but I do know every time the remote tank float moves up and down the buzzer goes on and off. Buzzer will stay off when the float is in the down position (not normal). When the float is back in the tank the float goes up and the buzzer sounds.