1998 Yamaha 115 2 stroke - Advice on pilot screw adjustment

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 98 Yamaha 115 2 stroke that I bought used. It seemed to be running rich because of what I thought was excessive smoke. I read up on adjusting the pilot screw and according to my manual, it says that all four should be anywhere from 3/8 of a turn to 7/8. When I checked what they were currently at, they were at 1 1/2 turns which according to the manual would be extremely rich. So I picked the middle of the recommended settings and set them at 5/8 of a turn. Helped with the smoke for sure. Seems to run well at higher speed but I think the idle was kind of rough so I turned them to 3/4 of a turn. With that setting, I don't notice a big difference.

Also, it definitely runs different on the muffs than in the water. I would like to make the adjustments while I'm on the water but I've found I need to take off the air baffle to get at them.

Is there a post somewhere that will detail how to dial in those settings?

Thanks

Doh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Smoke and Rich on a Oil Injected Yamaha are 2 different things. The Pilot Jets should be 1 1/2-2 turns out.

Smoke is due to Oil Injection or Premix which is Rich at Idle.

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class
The manual is clear that on the 115, the pilot screw is 3/8 to 7/8

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
The base setting is 5/8th turn out from being lightly seated. Then plus or minus 1/4 turn if needed to help the idle quality.

The idle RPM adjustment and the idle mixture settings should be performed with the boat in the water.

Doh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The manual is clear that on the 115, the pilot screw is 3/8 to 7/8

Go by the Manual then. 20 years running a 130 V4 Yamaha @ 1100' Above Sea Level, taught me different. In fact, All my Yamahas are/were Cold Blooded @ idle. 30hp, 50hp and 90hp. and smoked at idle also.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
"The manual is clear that on the 115, the pilot screw is 3/8 to 7/8"

What manual says this? It is not a Yamaha service manual. The Yamaha manual is clear that the setting is 5/8ths.