can't find float setting anywhere...help

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
resized.jpg 1987 Yamaha 30ELH
Can anyone find the float setting for this model? I have searched everywhere to no avail. The floats look way low from level. Don't know if this is correct, as they look low.

Thanks

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
The service manual indicates the float height and gives a graphical representation of what the float should look like. Any Yamaha dealer can get you a copy of the service manual.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Is it possible the motor is a year ahead or behind 1987?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
looking at the years around 87 I would think 1 1/2 to 2 will get you where you need to be

seems the same 3 carbs were used on 87 and up
86 down used a single carb

hold on there that sounds and looks like the pilot screw settings not float spec

Last edited:

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
e5pp9t.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
looking at the years around 87 I would think 1 1/2 to 2 will get you where you need to be

seems the same 3 carbs were used on 87 and up
86 down used a single carb

hold on there that sounds and looks like the pilot screw settings not float spec

That is the pilot screw initial setting, but this is the float drop;

flotdrop.PNG

The way the manual is organized, you have to bounce back and forth between front and back of the fuel section. :blue:

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Is it possible the motor is a year ahead or behind 1987?

I believe 30ELH is listed as 1987

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

e5pp9t.jpg

I have tried this adjustment which is from a 1988 It required me to bend the float tang way out of basic. It caused the needle to bind, as it side loaded it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GA_boater
I think the specs in Seloc are mislabeled. The float drop in this carb are actually non adjustable plastic tabs.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

would love to see yamaha publication LIT-18616-00-23

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The diagram is from that SM.

The H in 30ELH denotes it is a 1987 model year motor.

boscoe99 Thanks so much for clarifying that!
If that diagram is from that publication, then its what I have to go with. This would make 99yam40 correct! Someone has created a frankenstein by installing wrong parts.

GA_boater
It is a long shaft electric start.

Thanks to all of you!!!

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Not electric start, long shaft tiller model? Just asking.

There were four USA 30 HP models offered in 1987. An SH, an LH, an ESH and an ELH. The H denotes 1987.

S for short shaft, L for long shaft and E for electric start.

The manual is labeled as 30H. It covers all four variants of the 1987 model year 30 HP motor.