Alarm issue with a 1990 DT150 Sukuzi Outboard

championowner

Recruit
I have an alarm issue with my Suzuki outboard; put it in the water this weekend and ran great the first day. Next day not so good, have an alarm that doesn't quit and the motor won't rev above 3000rpm. I have a gauge that says oil/water gauge: with the oil gauge in the middle(3 bars) water symbol and rev limiter symbol on the left side of the oil gauge bars and water on top and oil symbols on the right. I noticed that the water symbol on the left stays on all the time and if I try to go over 3000rpm the rev limiter symbol lights up and the motor really bogs down. If I throttle back the to under 3000 rpm the rev symbol goes out and the boat runs fine. I tried to upload a picture of the gauge, but tells me it's too big. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks championowner

alldodge

Staff member
Have you change the impeller?

Have water coming out of the Pee hole?

championowner

Recruit
Yes, lots of water coming out of the pee hole. Took the boat to a dealer and the problem is that this motor has a water flow sensor on each bank of cylinders and one of the water flow sensors was malfunctioning and signalling the motor that there wasn't proper water flow through the motor even though there was proper flow. Shop said they disconnected the malfunctioning sensor and motor ran great; rev wide open with no alarm going off. I am glad these parts are still available as this is a fairly old motor and I would hate to run it with the proper sensors. This is an older unit but in very good shape for the age; motor ran really good last summer. This unit will do over 60mph on the water with this 150hp motor. Boat is actually rated for 175hp motor; can't imagine what it would do with that on the water.

Last edited:

Billdu

Recruit
I have a 1984 130 HP and it ran great until last Sat. As I was going along the motor started missing and the alarm would go off, I would slow and put in neutral until alarm quit then would go again. I next went slower and the alarm did not go off and I was able to get back to dock.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I have a 1984 130 HP and it ran great until last Sat. As I was going along the motor started missing and the alarm would go off, I would slow and put in neutral until alarm quit then would go again. I next went slower and the alarm did not go off and I was able to get back to dock.

If you are trying to ask a question, please start a new thread of your own and ask away