Keyed choke not working

bigge31566

Seaman Apprentice
I have 2004 Yamaha 115TXRC and when trying to cold start it will not crank, I can pull the manual choke on outboard motor and it starts right up, I can here the solenoid click in operation but seem to not be getting the gas

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Inspect visually if butterfly operates well closing, opening when choke key is pressed and released..

Happy Boating

bigge31566

Seaman Apprentice
I had a chance to check the choke today, choke was not engaging only able to get it to work a couple times, removed solenoid and wired straight from battery and it closes every time, put a test on wires coming from switch key and it lights up every time, reinstalled solenoid and barely works if any, put test between wire to solenoid and lights up but solenoid still doesn't engage, dont if im getting full power to solenoid

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If the solenoid isn't receiving full 12 V when key is pressed to engage, there's wiring related issues..

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If the solenoid isn't receiving full 12 V when key is pressed to engage, there's wiring related issues..

Happy Boating

Check key switch continuity, probably shot with bad, shorted, carbonized contacts that makes poor electrical connection to solenoid when key is pressed. Replace if found shot.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I had a chance to check the choke today, choke was not engaging only able to get it to work a couple times, removed solenoid and wired straight from battery and it closes every time, put a test on wires coming from switch key and it lights up every time, reinstalled solenoid and barely works if any, put test between wire to solenoid and lights up but solenoid still doesn't engage, dont if im getting full power to solenoid

a volt meter will help you see how much voltage gets there.
check the ground wires also

bigge31566

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry for the long delay, wanted follow up with solution to the problem, the keyed ignition switch was bad not sending power, replaced and it works perfectly, thanks everyone for all the help and information