Yamaha low idle lower unit issue

NEFisherman

Recruit
Hey everyone new to the forums, not new to boats. I am posting in regards to a 1994 yamaha 200hp 2-stroke. Just looking for a little advice or help. I am currently getting the motor ready for the season, and had some issues last year with low idle. Motor has great compression and carbs were rebuilt as well as a new fuel system. When the boat is at low idle/power I am getting a clunking type noise, not fuel carb but more so lower unit. When I raise the rpms and the noise disappears and the boat is on its way with no problem. Before I go ahead and consider purchasing a new lower unit could it be an easy fix, I am running a SS prop.

robert graham

Admiral
Maybe some lower unit gear lash or prop rattle at low idle....you could drain/check lower unit oil but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.....

scoflaw

Ensign
More than likely prop rattle, normal with a solid style prop hub. You can check it with the prop off to see if the noise is gone.
I switched over to a rubber hub style, that noise was driving me crazy.

NEFisherman

Recruit
I will definitely take a look, basically that rubber style hub is like a dampener to reduce the vibration I am assuming, yea I can't stand the noise. Lower unit oil looks fine. Do I need to buy a new prop with the rubber hub, or can I purchase the hub separately

scoflaw

Ensign
It's been said that different solid hubs will quiet it down, I had no luck after trying a couple Flo-torcs. You are going to need a new prop if you want rubber. I'm happy with the old style Mirage. Good opportunity to fine tune what pitch your looking for as well.

scoflaw

Ensign
Not a prop guru, but you haven't mentioned what prop you have, or any of the specs that help with making a prop decision. We were talking prop rattle.

NEFisherman

Recruit
I have run it in the water usually hear it leaving the dock at low rpms, or coming in... we are talking at 400-500rpm