How heavy is the lower unit on my 86 ProV150

rickclark

Seaman Apprentice
Have not rebuilt the water pump on this specific engine, but have done a lot of my own mechanicals like rebuild carbs and rest of fuel system, oil pumps, shift cables, etc, so I think I can do this except I'm in my early 70's and not as strong as I used to be. So my question is whether anyone can give me a "ballpark" on the weight of this lower unit? Any tips on how I can secure the unit in place while I remove the water pump bolts and torque back in place? It seems to big/heavy to mount in my 10" vise. One last question, is this going to be a 2 man job to align everything while reattaching the unit.

robert graham

Admiral
Remove prop to lighten the lower unit before removal. A section of rope can be used to secure it before removing all the bolts. The lower unit is more "clunky" than outright heavy, especially while re-installing it.....maybe find a friend or neighbor to give you a hand putting it back on and make sure everything is in correct alignment. A pair of 2 X 4 inch wooden studs fastened(screws or nails) to your workbench can provide an ideal place to rest your lower unit while working on it....

rickclark

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the tips, Admiral. Have somebody who can help with re-positioning and alignment. Think I can handle it.

James R

Commander
I am an old fahrt but can manage to remove and refit these lower units. Tilt the motor all the way up and lock. Then you can remove the bolts without a big problem. Fashion a yoke out of a piece of 2x6 2 feet long by cutting a long slot about 2 inches wide down the center to about 6 inches from the end. Clamp that end in your vice so that you can slide the lower into the slot.with the cavitation plate resting on the wood. Use a block of wood and a C clamp on the cav' plate to secure the unit in the yoke. If you want to change the oil put the unit in so that you can access the the level and fill screws. To remove the level and fill screws use an impact screwdriver and a 16oz hammer. Yes you need a strong vice.