2005 DF 70 smoke out lower unit /gearcase?

Shedden1003

Cadet
Hello all , new to site and found plenty useful information but can’t seem to find anything to help me with the problem I am having now. Anyways, when I go to flush my port side engine I am getting white smoke that smells almost electronic coming out of a hole in the lower unit. When first noticed the problem I suspected it could be just low on oil so I drained and refilled the lower unit oil. Thought this would fix the problem because the oil was quite dark almost like it was burnt as well. Started engine up again and the white smoke continues. Engine seems to be running fine and no codes popping up. Could it be a bad ground somewhere? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to wells these engines and want them running strong for buyer. Posted a pic of where smoke is coming from. Thanks guys A93D73F5-E903-4FF7-8D65-56A8CDEDBB07.jpeg

Attachments

• photo286706.jpg
    photo286706.jpg
    927.6 KB · Views: 0

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
My guess would be the dampener seal down by water pump is leaking exhaust gases into that area if it is anything like a Yamaha

Shedden1003

Cadet
Right on. Thank you so much for your response. After this work week I will look into that. Makes sense considering the smoke is very similar to what comes out exhaust . Thanks again

clanton

Rear Admiral
I THINK: There is a bonding wire in that area, and if you have a bad battery ground that engine it will smoke that wire, could also check water cooled regulator, may not get enough water in engine.

Shedden1003

Cadet
Removing the lower unit was a nightmare within it self but when unit finally did drop I noticed a bunch of rubber bits and pieces along with some corroded metal. Needless to say when I smelt the rubber pieces it was the exact same smell as the smoke, upon further inspection all that rubber was coming from the drive shaft housing bushing . The thing was completely disentegrated and that was the culprit of the smoke. Some reviews and my mechanic said that bushing may be optional as it is basically just a sound dampener so the drive shaft has no whip. I did however replace it and did impeller change since lower unit off and since then engine running like a champ with no issues / smoke. Thanks everyone again for insight

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
good to hear you found the problem and fixed it.
Did you grease the shaft splines and area that the shaft rides in the bushing. Yamaha calls for a special grease, but have no idea what Suzuki recommends.
it will make noise if not greased properly, but never heard of one coming apart like that

I am sure the corrosion squeezed the rubber making it rub the shaft too much

Shedden1003

Cadet
Yes greased all the splines super good and the bushing. Yea the corrosion was pretty bad. The motors have been put to the test with about 4500 hrs on each but they both have new heads and seem to be running strong .. hopefully have some more life in them. Thanks again for input guys!

robert graham

Admiral
It's a good idea to drop the lower unit at least every other year to inspect, grease everything, maybe a fresh water pump impeller....like most things, after you do the job once or twice it's a lot quicker and easier...