2004 DF140, disconnect shifting linkage

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I am going to change an impeller on the Johnson version of this motor tomorrow, can anyone give me a head start on where the shifting linkage disconnects?

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
2004 Johnson J140PX4SR 4 stroke disconnect shift linkage

This is the Johnson branded Suzuki 140 4 stroke. I am going to put an impeller in one tomorrow, can anyone give me a head start on how/where the linkage gets unhooked?

daselbee

Commander
Down at bottom of midsection, at the point where the LU meets midsection. The shift rod is visible there, and the method to disconnect is obvious.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
This one was splined much like a Mercury or Force motor. The speedo hose gets popped off a nipple then the shift shaft will slide out of the upper shaft. be careful it will try to bring the upper shaft with it. If it does just slide it back in, it will only drop in in the right spot, same with the lower, the spline has a flat spot on it, so it will only drop in at one spot.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
This one was splined much like a Mercury or Force motor. The speedo hose gets popped off a nipple then the shift shaft will slide out of the upper shaft. be careful it will try to bring the upper shaft with it. If it does just slide it back in, it will only drop in in the right spot, same with the lower, the spline has a flat spot on it, so it will only drop in at one spot.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you the manual.