Pressure (peeing) with hose attached

BowPro

Seaman
Put the ears on the Vmax 150 today and the pee is strong from the tube, but there was no reading on the pressure gauge. I removed the cover to the pressure control valve and checked the spring and valve. That was all I did. I got the hot light a few years back and the pressure control valve was the culprit. In this case, it didn't overheat, just no gauge pressure. I put the lazer temperature gauge to each head after about ten minutes of garden hose idle. Each head was in the ballpark of 128 degrees. I'm just wondering... Is the hose forcing the pee or what? Would it possibly not pee in the water at the ramp? What can I check for at the house on the hose? Or whatnot. Thanks in advance.

BowPro

Seaman
I think my general question among this is.... If a water pump is bad, does the garden hose pressure show me a false sign that the pump is working (good strong pee from tube)? I don't have a barrel at home to drop the pickups under water.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
have you had pressure before the way you rigged it up on the hose? if yes, I would replace the water pump

Last edited:

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi there...not really my speciality here. Just dipping in...but when you say about the reading on the pressure gauge, what do you mean ? Do you have a pressure gauge rigged up on the muffs and hose ? Surely the dash instrument don’t have a pressure gauge ? Maybe a temp gauge.

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
The muffs can give a false pee stream! If you rev the motor a bit does the gauge jump at all?
I don't have a gauge on my Yamaha but my old Merc would show pressure while running on muffs.. You could have stuck open t-Stats.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I guess it depends on where the pressure gauge is connected.

On muffs, my pressure gauge generally reflects hose pressure but no stream out the tell-tale. Gets dumped out the prop.

i can see the stats open and close on the gauge when running as well

BowPro

Seaman
I believe it's just the gauge. I've been on the water several times now and its got a good solid stream at any rpm, with a zero reading.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I believe it's just the gauge. I've been on the water several times now and its got a good solid stream at any rpm, with a zero reading.
Water pressure gauges are pretty reliable.

Check to make sure the line from the gauge to the motor isn’t full of water or plugged.

Drain the line and see if that works

James R

Commander
The way to check if your pump is working is by using a barrel. Muffs are a big no no. He said to me "I tested it on the Muffs and it was pumping water", I said to him " This is how much it will cost tho rebuild the motor".