2 problems today. Are they related?

leonwiesener

Recruit
took my 22' Grady White out today with a 2006 200 hp 2 stroke Yammie which worked perfectly last week. Today. started easily but when I was ready to go, no reverse. And worse, neutral was forward, reverse was forward and forward was forward. Irritating but workable I thought after banging into the dock a couple of times on my way to deep water and no other things to bang into. Reached past the no wake zone and oops, no power beyond 2200 rpms. Immediately turned around and trailered the boat. Haven't taken a look yet but will soon. Just wanted to ask if these could/would be related. Thanks in advance.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
how are you able to start this motor if it is in gear all of the tim?
pull the cowling and inspect the cable and linkage to see what is moving and what is not when you move the controler, then troubleshoot from there.
if the motor sees that it starts up out of neutral it can/ will limit RPM knowing something is wrong

leonwiesener

Recruit
Looked at it and I'm getting no movement in the shifter when I shift from neutral to forward or to reverse. Can't really see until I remove the bottom part of the cowling. However I am glad to read that the RPM's will be limited and I'm going to go with that as the secondary problem. I'll get into it tomorrow when shops are open and will report. Thanks for the replies. It really helps.